First Presbyterian Church is happy to present the Nathaniel’s Hope Buddy Break program!
2017-18 Dates and Times:
- Saturday, September 16 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 14 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 11 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 16 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 13 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, February 10 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, March 10 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, April 21 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 12 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- June and July - no Buddy Break
What is Buddy Break?
Buddy Break is a free kids/respite program where children with special needs (VIP kids) make new friends, play fun games, enjoy crafts, therapy dogs, stories, music activities, and more! Siblings have fun too! Meanwhile, their caregivers get a break from their ongoing care-giving responsibilities for three hours. Buddy Break is open to any families in the area with VIP kids.
Each VIP kid is paired one-on-one with a screened volunteer “Buddy” to participate in that day’s activities.
Who are VIP kids?
VIPs are kids with special needs, which include any physical, cognitive, medical or hidden disability, chronic or life-threatening illness, or those who are medically fragile.
Who are Buddies?
Buddies are friends of VIPs.
How do I sign up as a VIP?
First Presbyterian Church provides Buddy Break for VIP children birth ages: 2-17 years old, and their siblings: 2 years old to 5th grade.
To sign up for the program as a VIP:
- Go to www.BuddyBreak.org and complete the secure online VIP Family Information Form. If you have any siblings that you’d like to have attend Buddy Break, fill out the Sibling form too.
- Contact us to reserve your space at a required VIP orientation. (Contact information is below.) This allows us to meet you and your children and gives you a chance to see Buddy Break before you begin participating.
- Once you have signed up for the program and gone through orientation, you’ll need to make a reservation for each month that you want to attend Buddy Break. Space is limited and pre-registration is required, so register early!
To make a reservation for our upcoming Buddy Break as a VIP:
Email or call the Buddy Break line at First Presbyterian Church at (770) 427-0293 x240 .
How do I sign up to be a Buddy?
No previous experience with VIP kids is necessary to be a Buddy, just a loving heart, open arms, and a willingness to learn. You must be at least 14 years of age and you will be trained through a two-hour Buddy Training 101 class. You also agree to have a background check run on your information.
To sign up for the program as a Buddy:
- Go to www.BuddyBreak.org and complete the secure online Buddy Form.
- Contact us to schedule a visit or reserve your space at a mandatory Buddy Training 101 class. (Contact information is below.)
To make a reservation for our upcoming Buddy Break as a Buddy:
Email or call the Buddy Break line at
First Presbyterian Church at (770) 427-0293 x240 .
Alesia Jones, Betsy Sherwood, Colleen Crotty Buddy Break Coordinators
(770) 427-0293 x240
To find other upcoming Buddy Break dates and locations, click here or contact Nathaniel’s Hope at (407) 857-8224.